Slices of Life, and Other Such Things

Monday, April 30, 2012

Man vs Pop Culture Week 4/23-4/28

Another week, another pop culture roundup.

In light of recent events, I re-read the most recent arc of Chris Roberson and Mike Allred's monster mashup iZombie from Vertigo.  The story is, by necessity, ramping up to a conclusion (it's due to end with issue 28), and it's nice to see the various plot threads, including random throwaway bits from earlier issues, tying together.  Plus, there's a panel where guest artist J. Bone gets to draw Zombie Abraham Lincoln fighting Nazi werewolves.  I'm gonna miss this book when it's gone, but it's been a heck of a ride, and I'll be re-revisiting it after it wraps up.

After hearing about Kagan McLeod's Infinite Kung Fu on War Rocket Ajax a while back, I decided I'd check it out.  Finding out it was on sale last weekend only clinched the deal, and I spent a good chunk of the weekend blissed out in kung fu goodness.  Though I'm not familiar with many, many martial arts movies, I knew enough (would you beleive I heard about the Five Deadly Venoms in an old RPG sourcebook?) to appreciate the feel of what was going on.  For those who still need convincing, get a load of this trailer:


On the movie front, I got to check out Tucker and Dale vs Evil, which I had been meaning to see since I heard about it last year.  It's usually good to see Alan Tudyk in stuff, and Tyler Labine was fun in Reaper, and they had pretty good chemistry here, too.  The joke in the central premise had the potential to wear itself out, but it hit all the right story beats that I didn't mind.  By the time the college kids get the sheriff involved, you know what's going to happen next, but it's still funny as hell when it does.

Next week, I dig into a long-forgotten comic genre!

No comments:

Post a Comment