Slices of Life, and Other Such Things

Monday, August 6, 2012

Man vs the Inconsequential Anecdote

It's hard to figure out how to approach this, so I'll go right out and say it.  I like strange old stuff.  Records, books, and especially comics.  On occasion I'll go to the local used bookstore and just browse for some pop culture ephemera.  One time, I happened upon a grab-bag that had a few Archies from the '70s, a forgettably unreadable Charlton Flintstones, something called O. G. Whiz that mostly printed old Tubby stories, plus something that I had only heard about second-hand.  An issue of Millie the Model.  It was from late in the run, after the comic had gone from Stan Lee's version of an Archie-style humor book to a "romantic adventure" comic, and back to an even more Archie-styled book.  So, of course I bought the bundle, and that Millie was a jewel in my collection.

Now, flash-forward to that November, when a certain pop-culture-magazine-sponsored comic convention rolled into town.  Now, I hadn't been to a comic convention before, and this one was nowhere near San Diego levels of conventioneering, so I figured it would be a good place to check out for the day.  And, dear readers, I may have gone a little spend-crazy.  Several issues of Marvel Presents with Steve Gerber's rendition of the Guardians of the Galaxy, three randomly-selected silver/bronze-age Detective Comics, one copy of Avengers (vol. 1) #20 that someone wrote their name on, two Dazzlers with Bill Sienkiewicz covers and a Marvel Premiere featuring Tigra later, I saw it.  Another Millie the Model.  As it turns out, this was the first one after the style shift, but, after I got it home, I noticed something... familiar about it.  Most of the stories in this issue were reprinted... in the only other issue I had!

Of course, I should have known there'd be reprints.  The original X-Men comic was notoriously relegated to reprints before its original cancellation, and it looks like Millie was on her way there as well.  Heck, one of the Marvel Presents had an only-tangentially-related Silver Surfer reprint in there.  I only went to one other convention after that, and never saw another Millie.  Maybe I'll set my sights on finding old Josies instead. The next con for me is only a few months away, after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment